Windows Sidebar from Windows Vista has been finally ported onto Windows XP. In fact, this feat had already been achieved a few weeks after Vista was released, but the hacked Sidebar was buggy & most Gadgets wouldn’t work flawlessly. However this latest release installed easily and is working perfectly. (I was using the previous release for 3 months but debug errors occurred frequently…)
- Windows XP SP3
- 512 MB Memory - Sidebar is a MASSIVE memory hog! (it takes around 80MB on my PC)
- Alky for Applications - Included in the archive. Or you can get it here
- Internet Explorer 7 - Download here.
- Windows Media Player 11 - Download here.
- Wireless LAN API (for Windows XP) - Download here.
- .NET 3.5 Framework (required for some Gadgets & WSS) - Download here or here(direct link).
Download Windows Sidebar for XP
28MB - Use Winrar to open 7z. Alky 1.1 included.
- Install IE7, WMP11, WLAN API & .NET 3.5 Framework. (NOTE: If you do not install WLAN Hotfix, you will get "Delay load Error" popup)
- Extract "Windows Sidebar for XP.7z" to a folder.
- Install Alky for Applications - Alky_XP.exe in folder svcpack & reboot. (NOTE: Alky MUST be installed before Windows Sidebar)
- Right-click on sidebar.inf & choose Install.
- Required fonts & Gadgets will be installed.
WARNING: You need to uninstall all previous installations of VAIOXP (ex-Alky) if you were using it. If Sidebar still doesn’t work, check the FAQ here.
Alky for Applications can also be used to install other Vista features. Check this Alky Manual for more.
Download More Gadgets: gallery.microsoft.com
Gadget Installer is already included in the Sidebar - just double-click on a gadget to install!
- Windows Sidebar Styler (WSS) by Stanimir Stoyanov - Change the appearance of Windows Sidebar by using skins - Download HERE.
- Amnesty Generator - Make your own Gadgets by using web widgets! (Windows Vista only) - Download here.
Tech support & more info here & here.