The Media Guru

Jul 30, 2008



Recycling_lowres

When you think of recycling, it's usually this that comes to mind...

Nokia_Recycling_03_lowres

However, Nokia's policy of sticking to 4-digit models meant that they'll eventually run out of numbers (even for the Nseries - what comes after N99). So someone in Finland had the bright idea of recycling model numbers.

Nokia_7610_Supernova_02_lowres

The Nokia 7610 Supernova. Yes, Nokia have zombified my good old 7610. smile_whatchutalkingabout

7610

Let's go back 4 years ago in 2004. Nokia launched the world's first fashion & design-oriented smartphone! With cutting-edge specs (first megapixel phone) & an exquisite elegance with its curved edges, the 7610 was meant to break an unspoken rule - that smartphones were meant to be unstylish. The Nokia 7610 was one of the most successful phones ever & it's still being sold (last time I checked it was around Rs 5000).

Nokia_7610_Supernova_01_lowres

So what would a mid-end successor stand against its flagship namesake. In terms of specs, there have obviously been some major improvements. You can check the original Nokia 7610 specs on Wiki.
The Nokia 7610 Supernova has the following Key Features

  • Fashionable slider with smooth curves
  • Exchangeable XpressOn-covers
  • Theme Colorizer with color detection and automatic setting of navigation key illumination and wallpaper color
  • 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus, dual-LED flash and 8x digital zoom
  • TV out for image sharing and Instant messaging
  • Background Noise Cancellation
  • Stereo music player with dedicated music key supporting MP3, AAC, and AAC+, and RDS stereo FM Radio
  • XHTML browser

Technical Profile

  • System: GSM/EGSM Quadband 850/900/1800/1900
  • User Interface: Series 40 platform
  • Dimensions: 98 mm x 48 mm x 15 mm (L x W x H)
  • Volume: 63 cc
  • Weight: 99 g
  • Standby time: Up to 12.5 days
  • Talk time: Up to 8,4 hours
  • Main display: 240 x 320 QVGA,  16 million colors
  • Battery: BL-4S, 860 mAh, Li-Ion
  • Memory: 30MB free user memory plus support for microSD memory card up to 2GB

Camera:

  • Image capture:  up to 3.2 megapixel (2048x1536) JPG 24bit color
  • Video capture:  VGA (640x480) at 15 fps

Data Services and Connectivity:

  • GPRS multislot class 32 (31 in China), up to 100 kbps
  • EDGE multislot class 32 (31 in China), up to 296 kbps
  • Bluetooth 2.0
  • Micro USB

The 7610 Supernova is a slider, compared to the candybar that is the 7610 v1. In terms of design, it's much less revolutionary but nevertheless stylish enough for fashion conscious target market.

Hands-on Video


The lesser cousins…
7210 Supernova

Nokia_7210_Supernova_02_lowres

A slim candybar with almost the same specs except here there’s no TV out, the battery is smaller & the camera’s only 2MP.

7310 Supernova

Nokia_7310_Supernova_01_lowres

Same specs as the 7210, but better display, TV out & better recording with the 2MP camera.

7510 Supernova

Nokia_7510_Supernova_01_lowres

A folding phone with same specs as the 7310, with better battery life… 

The Verdict

Nokia_7610_Supernova_05_lowres

So is the clone better than the original? The final answer is a blatant NO! No matter what the specs, the 7610 Supernova is as distant as the nearest supernova from Earth from being a smartphone - it runs a lowly S40 v3! Yet again, my beloved S60-powered 7610 lives on until a suitable heir comes along... smile_tongue

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Comments 11 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Ideas? Add your comment.
Please don't spam & don't swear!
Subscribe to my feed
Yashvin said...

I have always been fascinated by nokia models :-)

Keep it up!

carrotmadman6 said...

@Yashvin
& I've always been fascinate by smartphones! :)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nokia really know how to make people dream and also create the dream...

Btw carrot...i think Scientology has really like yr blog man... :-) you should lodge a complaint at google help desk for this one... everytime i come...i see the scientology ads..and guess what?? this ads dnt really pay much but..at most $0.01 or $0.02 per click....

Try changing the setup codes by allowing both picture and text ads.....or create a new ads zone...

carrotmadman6 said...

@Avish
Same thing for me... every time I load my blog, these Scientology ads come up! (like NOW when i'm posting this comment!)

I don't whether these ads pay well or not... but I've had some strong earnings recently & I'm not going to jeopardize it! Who cares about Scientology seriously! Only the clicks count! LOL :D

Anonymous said...

Well good you getting some good bucks with them....coz on my side on i kept getting these ads before..and when i checked my earnings they were just cents :-( well now i dnt kno what ads people clicked or if they also got the scientology ads when they clicked. But if u saying its paying.,,,then why removing them...as long as google pay me too i am happy and dnt care with their scientology lol :-)

Btw i made some modification on my other blog. I changed the name. Btw am getting a shit of problem to buy a new domain name :-( i have money on my paypal but the damn paypal asking me to put my credit card to pay for the domain name!!! I hate paypal! And my accoutn is an Indian paypal accoutn...as u know if we create a Mauritian accoutn we can't receive money with paypal :-(

pa mem kav tir cash la...mo croir bizin met li confit lor paypal em!!!

Mauritius...cyber island indeed.... cyber pirate fuck land maybe :-(

SO i had to use a free domain of co.cc...i shift my blog from onlinemoneyagents.blogspot.com to kurtavish.co.cc now...till i can buy a domain name..

carrotmadman6 said...

@Avish
The Scientology ads only seem to come for Mauritian users (who rarely click), so it's not a problem for other countries. :)

Unbelievable, but I had the same problem!!! I have a US Paypal acc & when I tried to buy a domain, it asked me for my "US" Credit Card for verification. So what happens is that not only I can't use the money, I can't verify my account as well - so my money is stuck at Paypal! I can't even use my MU Paypal Acc, coz I don't a credit card.
:(

carrotmadman6 said...

@myself

Last line, I mean:
I can't even use my MU Paypal Acc, coz I don't HAVE a credit card.

Anonymous said...

Yea...paypal S**k!!! :-( i tried to look out if there is any way to transfer the money from paypal to moneybookers and then transfer to bank...there are none which seem trust worthy :-(

Alor mo cash p rest confit lor paypal. Trying to get a friend to withdraw the money from india and send me la....its possible if u have someone u can trust in another country and u send him the money he withdraw and air mail it so you or western union tou sa....but got to have someone you can trust...first

carrotmadman6 said...

Avish
Only prob is that I have no friend in US... :(

So my money is "confit" for ever... :S

4everskyline said...

they are sweet but they aint smart.I nid s60!!
7310 Supernova do looks like the brand new N79,isn't it?

carrotmadman6 said...

@4everskyline
Yea, but the N79 looks more like the N82. (see here)

Post a Comment

Some html tags like <b>, <i>, <a> are allowed & emos can be used. ;)
Copy your comment before posting in case something fails.
Comments are moderated, may take a while to appear.

The Photoblog carrotmadman6.blogspot.com

Posts on Photoblog

Posts rss feed
Featured Posts

Recent Posts

Categories

Blog Archive