The Media Guru

Jul 31, 2009

Tags:


the_media_guru
Yep, I’ve also caught the template-tweaking bug which is pretty contagious these days… :P Here are the tweaks:

- First mod is that I’ve replaced the header. [Twice!]

recent_posts_display
- Added a Recent Posts layout to the homepage using jQuery Display Switch tutorial found here.

recent_posts_dock
- Added a Recent Posts dock only visible on post pages. Copied from Magazeen template.

- Removed the Blogger’s Blog List gadget because it was too slow. I may add back a popup blogroll later.

linkwithin
- I also wanted to add a LinkWithin related stories widget, but no matter what I do, it just refuses to work. it now works thanks to the LinkWithin team! :)
Also tried to add a jQuery Tools Scrollable Featured Posts carousel, but was unsuccessful.

- Given that Google Pages is shutting down, I’m now using Ripway as my files host. & I’m still looking for an alternative to ImageShack as image host…

So that’s it. Enjoy this “new look.” :)

Update:
Great news for Blogger users! I’ve just discovered that Google now allows Picasa images to be displayed outside of the post area! So you can now host your template images directly on Picasa, meaning faster load times!!! :D

Update 2:
Added the new Label Clouds widget & a Google Custom Search. ;)
Also, avoid using Ripway as your host since it's blacklisted by Kaspersky. :S

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Comments 9 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Ideas? Add your comment.
Please don't spam & don't swear!
Subscribe to my feed
Saajid said...

I love the recent posts thing!! :) The new logo is nice too.

Wez said...

Nice header! Which font is it? I tried the Linkwithin widget as well but it didn't work so I gave up. I'm still looking for the ideal template...
:)

carrotmadman6 said...

@Wez
The font is Redensek.
:)

morinn said...

The recent posts widget merges really well with your blog! Looking great!! :P

Yashvin said...

Nice, but I have a suggestion. Add a home link to your top banner. There is currently no way to go back to the home page.

The Jquery effects rock!

carrotmadman6 said...

@Yashvin
There is, it's the Home icon. :P

Anyway, linked the header to the homepage. ;)

Bruno said...

:D I caught the blog-update virus as well :P
Yeps your page loads faster without the blogroll hypocrisy. I removed my blogroll as well and inserted a Top Commentators column.

Moderator said...

I have been bitten by this bug myself.... many times. Great blog by the way!

Mine loads so slow (my code is a mess right now with much unneccessary bloat, I'll get to that eventually though)

Nice to see someone else uses ripway. I havent had any problems with them but I do have concerns as to their reliability since they are not that well known.

Thanks for sharing this post, I am considering a few things about my blog as well, I am seriously considering removing my Blogger "followers" gadget as it takes too long to load as well.

Good post.

carrotmadman6 said...

@Lauren
Thanks for the comment. :)

I'd recommend not using Ripway since it is regarded as a phishing host by Kaspersky, which lead to my blog being blocked by Kaspersky's firewall.

I should probably update this post with the new tweaks! ;)

Post a Comment

Some html tags like <b>, <i>, <a> are allowed & emos can be used. ;)
Copy your comment before posting in case something fails.
Comments are moderated, may take a while to appear.

The Photoblog carrotmadman6.blogspot.com

Posts on Photoblog

Posts rss feed
Featured Posts

Recent Posts

Categories

Blog Archive