The Media Guru

Feb 9, 2012



2012-02-09_16-14-17

After being absent for a week from UOM, the first thing that I did today was test the UOM Wi-Fi given that my account has been activated. See the previous post for the terms, FAQ & instructions.

The first thing I did was connect to the network Wifiprovisioning, the security key being uomwifi01. Try to browse any web page and you’ll be asked to provide a username and password.

 

2012-02-09_16-15-0_2

According to the instructions, the username should be as follows: uowmwifi|username

That’s wrong. The “ | “ is a actually a “ \ “

So what you should enter is:
uomwifi\id
password

 

2012-02-09_16-16-25

Following this, you’ll be taken to a page where you can request a User certificate (tied to your ID & MAC address) that will allow you to use the uomstudent Wi-Fi network.

 

2012-02-09_16-17-11

Select a User Certificate type…

 

2012-02-09_16-18-00

Select a key strength. I should point out that I couldn’t select a key strength.

 

2012-02-09_16-19-03

& boom. Doesn’t work. Maybe I should have followed the instructions more closely & installed the CA certificate first…

 

2012-02-09_16-25-50

Back to home page & downloading a CA certificate.

 

2012-02-09_16-26-16_2

Installing…

 

2012-02-09_16-28-26

2nd try…

 

2012-02-09_16-29-02

WTF? I suppose this is because the retarded browser doesn’t allow me to select the key strength… Let’s use my other phone, the one with a proper OS and browser.

 

Screenshot-20120209-162200

Enter username & password.

 

Screenshot-20120209-162223

Screenshot-20120209-163219

Doing it properly this time by installing the CA certificate first.

 

Screenshot-20120209-163235

Yes, yes, yes.

 

Screenshot-20120209-163309

Back to requesting the user certificate…

 

Screenshot-20120209-162252

Screenshot-20120209-163319

At last, I could choose the key strength.

 

Screenshot-20120209-163344

& waiting…

 

Screenshot-20120209-163519

… waiting… & waiting because THE KEY NEVER APPEARED!!!

So, as it turns out, accessing the UOM Wi-Fi system is not hard, but impossible. Both of my Linux-powered N9 and N900 couldn’t cope with the absurdity of this Active Directory UOM-WIFI-CA-CA.

If they don’t want us to use Wi-Fi, please stop providing it instead of making it so mind-boggling that I have to embark on a course of Wi-Fi security to be able to use it. You don’t need to be an electrical engineer to be able to turn on a light switch.

One-does-not-simply-use-wifi-at-uom

5 years on, & I still can’t use Wi-Fi at UOM.

 

 

Update 13/2/2012:

2012-02-13_13-39-08_2

Went to try the UOM Wi-Fi again… & guess what?

 

2012-02-13_13-30-00_2

It still won’t let me access because I don’t have a certificate. Mind you I tried all possible EAP types – TLS, TTLS, PEAP (& the various sub-authenticating protocols – GTC, MSCHAP, MSCHAPv2) with every possible combination of my username & password.

 

Screenshot-20120213-140837

Of course, I also unsuccessfully tried to get a certificate. Perhaps I’ve been blacklisted… Who knows? I guess I’ll just enroll on a Wi-Fi networking course, CCNP.

So, to summarise:

  1. I can’t access UOM Wi-Fi.
  2. I can’t access UOM Wi-Fi because I can’t login.
  3. I can’t login because I don’t have a certificate.
  4. I don’t have a certificate because it won’t let download a certificate.
  5. I still don’t have access to UOM Wi-Fi.

Uom-wifi-y-u-no-work

 

 

Update 15/2/2012:

maemo-wifi

The other day, I went on the Internet and I found this. Apparently, if you have a Maemo/Meego device, you need to manually setup the Wi-Fi connection for it to work.

 

2012-02-14_16-09-43_2

So today, I tried it out on both of my devices. According to the tutorial, you have to use username@domain as the manual username, which would be username@uomwifi or uomwifi\username for UOM.

 

2012-02-14_16-11-59_2

Long story short, I tried out the various combinations on all the different authentication protocols (PEAP – GTC, EAP MSCHAPv2, MSCHAPv2, TLS, TTLS – GTC, EAP MSCHAPv2) &…

… it didn’t work. :)

Uom-wif-WHY

 

 

Update:

I got a Lumia 800, running Windows Phone, for trial & I tried UOM wifi on it. & it... worked. :(

double-facepalm-uom

 

 

Update 2:

IMG_0014

On an iPod Touch... Enter username/pass. Accept Certificate. Only 2 steps.

 

Related:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Comments 18 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Ideas? Add your comment.
Please don't spam & don't swear!
Subscribe to my feed
Yashvin Awootar said...

You know what? You will absolutely rock in the shoes of a Software Test Engineer. Above that, documentation of the test cases are excellent. Test cases themselves are very detailed.

Contact me when you need a job :-)

selven said...

"http://lh5.ggpht.com/-1wJSkOJYRu8/TzQiecg3vyI/AAAAAAAARSM/qUNvP3NvDk0/2012-02-09_16-19-03_thumb.png?imgmax=800"

This can actually be gold

Mozammil Khodabacchas said...

Connect to 'uommobile' directly. Apparently some friends had some luck with their nokia phones.

On a second note, i connected to the internet successfully with the iPad2. I didn't connect to 'wifiprovisioning' at all. What i did was connect to 'uomstudent', it prompted me for my username/password, inserted it and accepted the certificate.

It works flawlessly everytime i try to connect with my laptop or the iPad2. Good luck!

carrotmadman6 said...

 Erm, yeah, ok. :P

carrotmadman6 said...

 I was so pissed off that I didn't bother to do that. Will try again tomorrow.

Tushal said...

UOM - Some not really smart people working there.

Nayar said...

The system works flawlessly on iPods. The user can connect in about 3 steps from noobest to g33k.

I still haven't tested the full procedure on my laptop

koladoo nitish said...

On blackberry also it works perfect..good luck for new trials

YNK said...

:p they've named it well... UOM WIFI CACA..... LMAO.... 

Inf said...

Is it just me or is this interface a bit too technical just to allow (normal) users to get access to a Wifi network?

I thought you'd just have to login with your Uni user/pass, download your generated certificate and that'd be it? :s

carrotmadman6 said...

Apparently, you don't need to do all these. You can login directly on the uomstudent or uommobile network & start browsing. Cyclone-willing, I'm going to try that tomorrow.

Tushita Mandary said...

what's the login doman???

Mozammil Khodabacchas said...

uomwifi

Here's a screenshot of me connecting on uom's wi-fi.  https://p.twimg.com/AlRj_5VCAAAftQQ.jpg

Mozammil Khodabacchas said...

Based on my experience on using 'uomstudent', you need to download the certificate and log in using your username and password. Either on my laptop or the iPad2, i had to do it but it was a lot more simple on the iPad2.

Gnukid1 said...

C'est un veritable poisson d'avril ce reseau sans fil !
 

Nayar said...

Managed to connect my linux laptop to the WiFi today: http://nayarweb.com/blog/2012/uom-wi-fi-on-linux-kubuntu/

I'm soo happy. I had to download the certificate from windows tho :-/

carrotmadman6 said...

 I can download the CA certificate, I installed it manually. Still doesn't work. :(

claude said...

5 years still at UOM?

Post a Comment

Some html tags like <b>, <i>, <a> are allowed & emos can be used. ;)
Copy your comment before posting in case something fails.
Comments are moderated, may take a while to appear.

The Photoblog carrotmadman6.blogspot.com

Posts on Photoblog

Posts rss feed
Featured Posts

Recent Posts

Categories

Blog Archive