The Media Guru

Jul 27, 2007

Tags:


Is there Linux for cats & dogs as well?? Amazing!!!

I got my ubuntu cd today, exactly 1 month after I had ordered it on 26th June. I got 4 stickers & one live & install cd. Today was the first time I used Linux.
When I first inserted this cd on Windows Xp, it offered to install the following programs:
I already had Firefox & Thunderbird but I’ve never heard of Abiword, Blender or Clamwin!? So I didn’t install them since I had more powerful apps like Office 2007, Adobe CS3 Design Suite & Kaspersky Internet Security.
So I decided to try out the live-cd. Took around 6 min to completely load… (very quick in comparison to XP & considering that everything was on the cd)

The UI isn’t that bad compared to XP, but it’s still a long way off from Vista or Mac OS X. First surprise was that sound was at full volume. I was so shocked by the start-up sound that I quickly turned off my speakers. I managed to fix it later in the settings.
The screen wouldn’t run more than 1024x768 since it wanted to download the Nvidia driver for added 3D functionality & I couldn’t configure the Internet access. I couldn’t play mp3s either since it asked for the codec…
There are quite a few apps & utilities on the cd, that aren’t commonly available on Windows XP.

I tried taking screenshots but the screenshots wouldn’t save on my hard disk. (I’ve downloaded those screens)
The icons aren’t that good & navigation wasn’t too difficult.
Linux isn’t made for me. Although it’s very stable, I don’t think I’ll be able to install all my favourite apps & the alternatives aren’t that good either. It requires too much tweaking for me. Maybe one day, I’ll install it just to check out the speed of my internet connection… :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Comments 3 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Ideas? Add your comment.
Please don't spam & don't swear!
Subscribe to my feed
Yashvin said...

lol, the problem is that we, mauritians have been using windows since the first time we touched a computer and it will become a bit difficult for us to adapt.

however, its proved that linux is more stable than windows and it would be nicer if we move to it.

do try using a dual boot system where u will be able to use both of them and perhaps succeed in installing your internet.

good luck!

carrotmadman6 said...

Well, one day i'll try the dual-booting out...
But for the time being, i love my Windows XP. :D

Anonymous said...

There's NO difference at all between WINDOWS and Ubuntu Linux!!! the interfaces are the same; you have minimize, close, maxi.., a task bar, simply the 'start button' is flipped at the top of your screen.

Post a Comment

Some html tags like <b>, <i>, <a> are allowed & emos can be used. ;)
Copy your comment before posting in case something fails.
Comments are moderated, may take a while to appear.

The Photoblog carrotmadman6.blogspot.com

Posts on Photoblog

Posts rss feed
Featured Posts

Recent Posts

Categories

Blog Archive